"Cusstomer" A cusstomer is someone that cusses us out after they have either spent money with us or tried to spend money with us. They are the person to whom we have fallen short of meeting expectations. They are so mad at us they want to cuss us out. Many actually do.
Only 9 percent of those we service poorly will tell us. The other 91 percent will probably never give us another chance to earn their business.
Word of mouth advertising is also prevalent among cusstomers. They will tell nine or ten of their friends, relatives, or co- workers. One in eleven will tell twenty others!
If you do not think you have cusstomers you are being naive. Even the best run customer-oriented organizations will fail from time to time. Improve your customer service techniques and you will reduce the number of cusstomers.
Consider Detroit’s scarred terrain of failed retailers. Foland’s Catalog, Farmer Jack, and Bill Knapp’s Restaurants were continual bottom dwellers for external customer service. All are now extinct.
Remember: even if you have just one cusstomer a month they will tell ten people you aren’t worth doing business with. That’s 120 people a year more likely to go to your competitor!
Share your own new business term using Contact Us.